Live lets people, public figures and Pages share live video with their followers and friends on Facebook.
When Should My Nonprofit Use Facebook Live?
Use Facebook Live when you want to broadcast events or activities and interact with your supporters in real time. You can field their questions, hear their comments and share powerful moments as they happen.
Take advantage of people’s interest in moment-centric content.
Show people behind the scenes of your programs to see the impact of your programs in real time.
Have a staff member report on the progress of your work and field questions.
Amplify the reach of in-person events by broadcasting the event to your Page followers.
Have supporters add a donate button or fundraiser to their live videos to raise money for your nonprofit through their broadcast.
Have celebrities or influencers in your community go live on your behalf to reach new audiences.
1. Open the Facebook App on your Mobile Phone At the top of News Feed in the status update bar where it says “What’s on your mind?” Select “Go Live” from the menu.
2. Add a Description Write a catchy description before going live. A great description will capture people’s attention and help them understand what your broadcast is about.
3. Choose an Audience Tap the Geo Controls button to choose a preferred audience for your live video. Narrow your audience to people who will be most interested in what you have to say.
4. Go Live! Hit “Go Live” . You’ll see a three-second countdown before your broadcast begins! When videos are live there is a red Live button on them.
5. Engage With Your Audience As people tune into your broadcast they will be able to comment in real time. Respond to comments in the comment feed or through your broadcast. Tip: While you’re live, have someone on your team view your broadcast on another device, feed the host questions from the audience and respond to comments. Make sure you go live long enough for people to see the broadcast and tune in.
6. Promote Your Broadcast After your broadcast has ended a video replay will be posted to your Timeline. You can have supporters and staff share the video like any other video.
Fundraise Through Live Video
Now supporters can add a donate button or fundraiser to their live broadcasts.
Those who’ve created a fundraiser for your organization can attach that fundraiser to a live video and viewers can contribute to the fundraiser during the broadcast. This is a great way to take advantage of the growing video engagement on Facebook.
A supporter can add a fundraiser to a live video with their personal profile on Android and iOS. In order for people to create fundraisers on your nonprofit organization’s behalf, your organization must be a US-based 501(c)(3) that has applied or can be found in Network for Good.
Go live when you have a strong internet connection.
Write a catchy description before going live.
Ask viewers to subscribe to Live notifications.
Say hello to commenters by name; respond to their comments live.
Broadcast for longer periods of time to reach more people.
Use a closing line to signal the end of the broadcast.
Be creative and go live often!
Join our Community
Nonprofits around the world are learning, sharing and connecting on Facebook.
Hear their stories and stay up to date with our latest news.