People watch videos on Facebook to connect with moments shared by their friends, catch up on news from the day and much more. More than 65% of all video views are happening on mobile devices as people turn to Facebook at different times and places throughout the day.
Videos uploaded directly to Facebook have proven more successful than those linked to other video players:
- 30% higher video play rate (number of clicks to play the video)
- 3.5x lower cost per click
- 5.5x lower cost per video play
Upload directly to Facebook
Videos uploaded directly to Facebook fill the entire width of and play directly in News Feed, offering a seamless viewing experience. Directly upload videos also autoplay, making them more eye catching than a video thumbnail. If you link to a video hosted on another site, the link appears with a small thumbnail from the video.
Recommended Upload Specs:
- File Type: MP4s work best, but Facebook supports all video types.
- Resolution: Use HD video for optimum quality. Keep your resolution under 1080p.
- File Size: Keep file sizes under 750MB for the best upload experience. Although we support file sizes up to 1.75 GB, there may be longer upload times for larger files on slower Internet connections.
- Length: Videos must be less than 45 minutes long. Shorter videos usually have better playback quality and shorter upload times.
- Audio: We also recommend Stereo AAC audio compression with 128kbps or more.
Customize your videos
- Custom Thumbnail: Select the main image a viewer sees when first watching a video (files up to 10 MB).
- Subtitles: Include subtitles so people can experience your video without sound. Enable subtitles in multiple locales using .SRT files.
- Call to Action: Invite viewers to visit a website or destination of your choice. This is helpful especially if you want to drive referral traffic elsewhere.
Control where your video appears
- Scheduling and Expiration: Set your video to be posted and/or taken down at a later date (any time between 10 minutes and 6 months from the original upload).
- Audience Restrictions: Restrict the audience of a video by age, gender or location.
- Manage Distribution: Publish your video directly to your Page or distribute it in News Feed.
Feature videos and playlists
The Videos section of your Page is a place for people to watch and discover a back catalog of videos that might not appear in their News Feed.
- Featured Video: Highlight your most relevant video, whether it’s a breaking news story, your latest movie trailer or a message to your supporters.
- Playlists: Showcase and organize your videos in any way you want.
Understand how your videos are performing on Facebook. Visit Page Insights to get an overview of video metrics across custom date ranges.
Embedded video player
The Embedded Video Player lets others to bring your video to their site, allowing you to discover new audiences outside of Facebook. It displays the video’s title, author and view count. It also gives people the option to like the video or share it with friends, driving distribution back to Facebook. Learn more about the technical details of the video player on our Developers site.
Take advantage of our full-featured Video API to programmatically publish video, set distribution requirements and analyze the performance for your videos on Facebook.
Video publishing partners
These partners deliver CMS platforms, clipping tools and channel management for video. Learn more about their offerings through our Media Solutions Program.
Spontaneous video on Instagram
Videos don’t have to be completely polished if they’re timely. Posting short videos to your Page through Instagram can provide genuine in-the-moment access to your team and programs.