Since launching our charitable giving tools, we’ve been inspired by all of the good done by the Facebook community. And now, more than ever, we are committed to creating more products to empower people to do even more good in the world.
Today, we’re announcing the ability for verified Pages to add donate buttons to their live videos. This will give public figures, brands, businesses, and organizations new ways to fundraise on Facebook for the nonprofits they support. This feature will gradually roll out on iOS to admins of verified Pages in the US.
What does this mean for your nonprofit?
If you are a US-based 501(c)(3) with a verified Page you can use live video and other Facebook donation tools to raise funds for your nonprofit directly on Facebook when you apply and are approved by Facebook payments. To learn more ways your nonprofit can directly raise funds on Facebook, visit the tools section of our website. You can also encourage supporters to fundraise for you. People, and now celebrities, businesses and other organizations that have a verified Page on Facebook can add a donate button to their live video to help raise money for a nonprofit. This is a great way to rally supporters around a cause. Learn more ways to encourage supporters to fundraise for your nonprofit here.
How does this work?
Going Live? Here are instructions on how admins of verified Pages using Facebook, mentions, or the Page Manager app in iOS can add a donate button for a nonprofit to their live video.
- Before going live, tap on the “…” button for more options on the bottom left-hand corner of the screen. Tap “add donate button” and select a nonprofit.
- Go live, and the donate button for the nonprofit you selected will be attached to the bottom of your live video, allowing friends or fans to donate directly from the video as they watch or after you post the video to your page.
- People will be able to see how much money has been raised.
Note: To use this feature you need to be an admin of a verified Page and have the latest version of Facebook, Mentions, or Pages Manager app on iOS.
Tips for going live:
Recently PBS co-anchor Hari Sreenivasan created two Facebook Live videos to raise money for the Gwen Ifill Fund for Journalism, to honor his late colleague. Here are a few tips Hari shared with us.
- Prepare for your video in advance to ensure interviews and content unfold smoothly
- Be authentic and curious. Cover a topic you are passionate about
- Involve your audience. Answer questions during your Live event and address your commenters by name
- Pick the right location. Effective imagery moves people to act. Be sure to set your video in an environment that will capture viewer interest
Get tips or read our full case study here. For more information about this launch, visit our newsroom.